Sunday, April 15, 2007

April Showers Bring—WTF!?















Cold and snowy up in the mountains right now, wet and clammy down here. Apparently chains and snow tires are required to get over Donner Pass at the moment. Now I’m not feeling so bad about waiting until the end of April to take my studded snows off. They might even be useful for going up north to retrieve my summers.



Success, again.

LBM has produced a very smooth and drinkable German dark with lots of flavor. It is one of the finest homebrewed beers I’ve had the pleasure of knowing.

I almost like it better than my own heffeweizen, which means it’s time to get to work on improving the recipe.

The biggest difference this time around will be the use of a proper yeast (Heffeweizen=YeastWheat), which they have for sale here in Reno. While my current bier has a decent wheat taste, it still lacks that good, almost bread-like, front end flavor that comes from the right strain of yeast. Also less hops this time around. The hops in German heffeweizens are subtler, while American brewers have a hard time resisting the urge to flaunt the wonderful hop varieties of the Northwest. Good, but not what I am looking for.

No comments: