Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Day Out on the Coast



Maybe the whole economic man thing is overrated. Or at least, it's offer of assurance is. After all, I had just finished the last bit of $1600 dollars worth of maintenance on my car - all the big-ticket stuff that it would need for at least six years considering how little I drove it - and then I had that car destroyed out from underneath me.



So I think I'll go back to school, finish the history BA while I still have the GI Bill to spend.



It's not the wisest thing to do, leaving a job that's pretty much guaranteed for the next five years at least. Especially as it may well get pretty ugly with the economy.



Also, BAs and BSs are just not worth that much these days. I work alongside five individuals who have bachelor of science degrees in biology, and they're all making the same amount of money as I am. The only thing that they have that I don't is 20,000 to 30,000 in student loan debts.



Still, staying in the comfortable job seems like the lower quality thing to do.



Besides, it may not be the degree so much as the opportunities that go with school: networking, research opportunities, a chance to meet people in the field and even just looking at all of the tangential professions...



If worse comes to worst, I can always just fight my way back into the monkey herding industry. It's not like there are a lot of us with experience in this highly specialized field.











No comments: