Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Very engaging



I realize that I am jumping on the bandwagon in announcing that I am pleasantly surprised and that this is a thoughtful movie with a well-developed world, but the sentiments are genuine. And the surprise factor was especially strong given that I stopped following the rebooted Battlestar series not far into it. While that show began brilliantly, it quickly bogged down in simplistic analogies and high school style drama.

The Caprica movie, on the other hand, is certainly one of the most engaging works of new science fiction that I have seen in some time. It feels more balanced than the previous series with a tighter focus on philosophical issues raised by AI and robotics technology and religion while still maintaining a high-level of acting and emotion. I hope that the coming series does it justice, and I am looking forward to giving this franchise a second chance.

No comments: