Friday, October 22, 2010

In case the internet hasn't given you...

...enough ways to waste your days in front of a computer, I'd like to recommend Warren Ellis's ongoing online comic about telepaths in post-apocalyptic London, Freak Angels.



Normally I'm not much of an Ellis fan for the same reason that most of literary science fiction no longer interests me--because it's like being beaten over the head with an ideology. If I had my way, fiction would be as hostile to ideology as science. Ideologies carry too high of an epistemological cost in that they compel their believers to shut out whole aspects of the world and disregard empirical observation.

Not that completely ideology-free fiction will ever come about. Even the beliefs of positivists give shade and color to their writing. That said, a middle ground of moderation is possible. So far, Ellis seems to have hit that with Freak Angels. I'm about a quarter of the way through the extant work, and the post-apocalyptic setting has made for a story in which science fiction concepts and the stories of the characters come first.

Making it a fun read thus far.

4 comments:

jasonfischer said...

oh HELL YEAH!!! I bloody love Freak Angels, what a great concept. Love the flooded London, so cool.

Alex Black said...

Freak Angels has been great so far.

By the way, I really enjoyed your "Gravesend" story in After the World. That was a fantastic piece of zombie apocalypse storytelling that now has a place on my bookshelf. I'm looking forward to the "Corpus Cristi" follow up!

jasonfischer said...

Thanks mate, I'm really glad you enjoyed it. I've just finished Corpus Christi actually, when it comes out in print I'll grab your postal address and make sure a copy comes your way :-)

Alex Black said...

Thanks. It's good to have friends who are fellow writers!