Monday, December 06, 2010

Squeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Please forgive me my internet fanboy moment :)

George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire books are making the transition form ink to film, which is a jump that I'm rather excited about.



I am a little bummbed out that the Dothraki look like generic Celtic barbarians rather than the Mongols whom they are clearly based on in the books. My exposure to the Mongols in East Asian and World History courses earlier this year had me on a Mongol kick. Martin did them justice in his depiction of the fictional Dothraki, so it's a shame to see that the producers chose to ditch the Central Asian influence.

Oh well, so sad.

In the meanwhile, Sergei Bodrov's 2007 film Mongol presents a slightly romanticized but good look at the lives and cultures of these intriguing pastorialists who carved out history's largest land empire.

No comments: