Wednesday, March 23, 2011

From goth glam back to the chill

It's seems to have been forever and a day since I mentioned music on this blog.


For some reason my iPod's shuffle random feature developed a pleasant but intense infatuation with Siouxsie Sioux of Siouxsie and the Banshees last month. That got me listening to 80s mod/goth/alt music that I haven't paid much attention to for years. Even some goofy 80s goth-glam rock:



Now it's back to the electronica and chill that seems to have become my norm.



Revisiting the roots of the alternative 90s music scene that I so loved has made for some good literary insperation. Sometime down the line I'd love to write 90s style modern fantasy. Or rather, urban fantasy in the way that I wished it had evolved from the 90s onward rather than the way it actually went in the age of Pairs Hilton and G. W. Bush.

I don't suppose we can get a do-over on the entire past decade, can we?*




*Excepting indie rock, post-rock, and the rest of the fringe.

Hmmm...You know what? At times it feels like the more banal the decade, the more intense the mainstream alternatives. It would make sense then that the dreariest brick-and-stone industrial cities of Great Britain in the early 80s were ground zero for punk and new wave.

No comments: