Thursday, August 18, 2011

The daily volcano cam

One of the first things I check when on the net in the mornings. Just 'cause, you know, the mountain could have moved closer to the city over night.



USGS image, public domain 

Well, truth be told it's more for the sense of infinite that comes from looking at mountains in the early morning. That and a reminder that there are forces and priorities that dwarf and will outlast the concerns, conflicts, and petty worries of day-to-day life.

One of those small concerns that has been worrying at me is a sense of disappointment from not being able to attend Worldcon in Reno this year. I'd really been looking forward to attending the premier convention for genre writers in my hometown for some time. Alas, trying to make a freelance living in an economy where college graduates are enduring a level of unemployment on par with that of the Great Depression did not allow for it.

What really sucks is seeing picture of my hometown posted on blogs by my neo-pro peers as well as by established writers in the genre whom I've met. I was looking forward to seeing many of them again for the first time in a year, and I was certainly looking forward to hanging out with the Portland contingent.

That said, this is definitely one of those disappointments that falls under the heading of petty sorrows that fall by the wayside when looking at the mountains. It's also a petty concern when looking at the plight of other graduates who either haven't had any kind of an income since 2007 or are stuck working part time minimum wage jobs with heavy student loans hanging over their heads. Going to school on the GI Bill allowed me avoid accumulating any significant debts, which was no small trick in a time in which we have shifted the burden of financing higher education from the states to students and their parents.

It's also small because I do have work. I'm slowly accumulating clients and creeping back up towards being able to pay the monthly bills. And I'm doing so through writing, which is a reward in and of itself.

Speaking of, I really should be doing paid work that I have qued up for today rather than blogging...






No comments: