Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Tillamook Naval Air Station

A World War II naval air station built to house a squadron of sub-hunting dirigibles out on the coast.


I've always been drawn to massive structures like this. Something about the sheer sense of scale. I think its because some of my earliest memories from growing up at Travis Air Force Base are of C-5 cargo lifter jets. Aircraft so large you can park four Greyhound buses inside one, and when flying they seem to almost hang weightless and motionless in the sky.


My first thought when I saw this hanger for the first time while driving up the coast in 2007 on vacation was that it looked like something out of science fiction. Like a structure from anyone of several illustrated books I read as a child in which the future was huge and metallic and industrial in appearance.











No comments: