Thursday, September 19, 2013

Blogcation

I recently picked up a regular eight-hour a day technical writing job. Also, I'm almost 30,000 words into the current novel-in-progress, which is rolling along nicely. Obviously the blog is suffering. Apologies for that.

I'm going to try and push out at least one good, if short article on the weekends, and an observation and a cool link or two during the weekdays. We'll see how that goes, because it's awfully hard to say no to the novel whenever I sit down at the keyboard on my own time.

I've been asked if writing for work will diminish the zeal for craft writing after hours. I honestly don't think so. Partly because these are two very different things. The distance between them is almost as great as the space between verse and prose - between poetry an the structured narrative of a novel. And partly because the technical writing involves lot of non-writing tasks. Part of my work is helping to create a new production environment for technical manuals, which is a fun challenge in its own right. Especially attempting to anticipate how a body of manuals will age, and keep the collection functioning smoothly in four dimensions rather than just three.

But mostly because the more I write, the more enthusiasm I have. It's a nice positive feedback loop to ride, round and round again.

No comments: